Wilson Reportedly Top Choice For U. of Chicago President

James Q. Wilson, Shattuck Professor of Government, is being considered as the top candidate for the presidency of University of Chicago, the Maroon, the university daily, reported yesterday.

The Maroon quoted sources close to the university's trustees that the presidential search committee has sought Wilson for the presidency.

Wilson yesterday denied having been asked to fill the post.

"I haven't had any communication with the University of Chicago," Wilson said. "I don't see any reason for wanting to give up the privileged condition of being a professor. I haven't given it any thought and I won't give it any."

Wilson said he did not know what he would do if he were to be asked because "predicting that would be like predicting what your answer would be if Sophia Loren proposed to you. You just don't know because it is so improbable. You don't even think about these matters."

Norman Bradburn and John Hope Franklin, two members of the presidential search committee reached yesterday in Chicago, said they could not reveal any of the candidates' names currently being considered.

Bradburn acknowledged that there is "rampant speculation" that Wilson is coming to Chicago, but he declined to elaborate further.