Brown, Dartmouth Win

Ivy League Roundup

By Jon Ledecky

Princeton and Brown both copped their initial Ivy League encounters to grab a share of the early lead in the loop's standings. Victims Columbia and Penn, respectively, took it on the chin for the second time in as many outings. In New Haven, Yale kept pace with the Tigers and Bruins (all three sport unblemished marks of 2-0), brushing aside Colgate. Dartmouth and Cornell evened their seasonal marks, powering their way in the winners' bracket with a pair of non-league triumphs.

Brown, tabbed by many football experts as the team to beat in '75, wrote off Penn, 17-8. Quarterback Bob Bateman was the catalyst behind a pair of second quarter touchdowns. The lanky chucker connected with tight end Ken O'Keefe for a 15-yard TD toss early in the period. The University of Vermont transfer capped a late drive with a one-yard dive for six.

Bruin placekicker Jose Violante inked his name into the record-books with a 51-yard field goal in the third quarter. The blast bested his previous school mark of 49 yards, set last year against the Quakers. Penn averted the whitewash in the final stanza, quarterback Carl Smith hooking up with split end Steve Hasselback for a 34-yard TD pass.

Princeton left the friendly confines of Baker Field with a 27-7 shellacking of Columbia. The Lions pawed their way to a 7-0 first quarter lead on the strength of an 87-yard march, Kirk Combs leaping over the goalline from a yard out. But Princeton quickly knotted the affair on Art Walker's three yard jaunt late in the period.

The Tigers broke the contest wide open in the second quarter, notching a touch-down and two field goals. Princeton was neverheaded after that, their tenacious defense rendering the Columbia attack immobile.

Yale Coach Carmen Cozza just may have assigned George Allen's book on football as homework for his Bulldogs. Yale's defense forced three costly Colgate turnovers in the first half. Linebacker John Smoot recovered two fumbles and picked off an errant Red Raider pass to set up three Eli scores.

Quarterback Stone Phillips, who guided the Yale attack to a 10-point half-time edge, cashed in on the first turnover with a 4-yard touchdown thrust. Phillips led all Yale rushers with 89 yards, and garnered 144 yards in the air on the crest of a 9-14 passing day.

Don Gesicki's three-yard scamper and a 24-yard field goal by Randy Carter provided the necessary insurance for the unbeatens. Yale travels to Brown next Saturday in what should be the first "humdinger" of the Ivy campaign.

Cornell skinned the Bisons from Bucknell, 21-6, scoring all of their points in the first half. Junior cornerback Dave Johnson provided some fireworks for the Cornell faithful, intercepting a pass and turning it into an electrifying 59-yard touchdown. Backs Donald Fanelli and Tim LaBeau rammed into the endzone on short runs for the other Cornell scores.

Dartmouth tuned up for their Ivy League opener with Penn this week, stabbing the Crusaders from Holy Cross, 28-7. The four touchdown output was the most the 'Green Machine' has churned out since the middle of 1973.

It looked like a dreary afternoon in Hanover when Holy Cross went to the locker room with a 7-0 halftime edge. But Dartmouth found the right combination in roommates Bob Freidl and Mike Brait. QB Brait spotted Freidl in the left flat early in the 3rd quarter for a 7-7 tie.

Dartmouth poured it on in the pivotal fourth quarter, Brait racking up the majority of his 117 yards passing on 11 completions in 16 attempts. Freidl added some icing on a 106 yard rushing cake with his second score, a 36 yard gallop around right corner.