Harriers Compete in Tri-Meet; Edge Yale, Lose to Princeton

By Theodore A. Christopher

Harvard had no tricks, and Princeton scoffed all the treats in an all-Ivy cross country tri-meet at New Haven yesterday afternoon. Though finishing strongly ahead of host Yale, the Crimson harriers could not overcome the potent Tigers, who notched the victory with ease, 21-50-60.

In the varsity meet, Princeton runners Graig Masback and L. Tractenberg tied for first place, completing the 4.46 mile race with an impressive 22:04.6 clocking. Third place was given to Princeton's T. Harshorne although he finished only a half step ahead of Harvard's freshman sensation Peter Fitzsimmons (22:08). Fitzsimmons turned in yet another of his standout performances.

Princeton's domination came as no surprise since the Tigers are rated among the top in the Ivy League. Five Princeton runners grabbed an early lead in the first part of the race before Fitzsimmons made his move. Harvard runners in general showed their strength in the latter part of the race, but not before the Bruins had established complete command.

Rounding out the scoring for the Crimson, junior Jeff Campbell finished seventh overall (22:04), followed by an improving Bill Brownsberger who captured tenth place with a 22:46 timing.

Captain Bill Okerman and freshman Peter Levine tied for fifteenth place overall (23:08) while Stein Rafto (23:14) and Jamie Kiggen (23:53) claimed the seventeenth and twenty-first places respectively.

The junior varsity meet proved disastrous for Crimson harriers as they finished third (77) to Princeton (15) and Yale (66). Looking as strong as their varsity teammates, the Tigers jumped out in front early in the race to maintain a dominance that was never seriously challenged. Princeton speedsters claimed the first seven places, and Yale the next three before Harvard's Mark Graham (24:10) and Ed Sheehan (24:37) nailed down the eleventh and twelfth places respectively. They were followed by Dave Atkins (24:37) and David Sullivan (25:03).