JOCK SHORTS

If statistics mean anything, then Harvard and Yale will most likely play to a standoff on Saturday. The Crimson leads the Ivies in total offense, averaging 404.3 yards per game, while Yale has been the stingiest on defense, yielding a meager total of 248.5 yards.

On the other side of the coin, Yale is second in offense, and Harvard third in defense. Also, the Crimson tops the list in scoring, with an average of 29.8 points per game, while, needless to say, Yale has given up the fewest points (14.8) per game...

A Handful

Individually, a handful of Ivy performers appear in the national statistics. Everyone is aware that Jim Kubacki ranks third in total offense, but Princeton's Ron Beible also ranks in the top ten, as he stands ninth.

Beible also stands sixth in passing, while Brown's Bob Bateman, despite last Saturday's disaster, is tenth. Bateman's number one receiver, Bob Farnham, again leads the nation in receptions with 52, for an average of 6.5 per game. Yale's Gary Fencik and Princeton's Neil Chamberlain stand fifth and sixth, respectively....

The Ivies

Back in the Ivies, Tommy Winn is fourth in rushing with 505 yards, while Mark Taylor is ninth. Winn is also tied with Bob McDermott for fourth position in scoring, as each has tallied 36 points via six touchdowns, two fewer than the leader, Columbia's Doug Jackson. Mike Lynch, with four field goals and 21 extra points, ranks seventh. Finally, Jimy Curry and McDermott stand fourth and fifth, respectively, in pass receiving, with 28 and 22 catches...

Freshman Peter Fitzsimmons was the lone Crimson harrier to make this year's All-Ivy squad, which consists of the top twelve finishers in the annual Heptagonal championships. Fizsimmons finished fourth overall, and thus joins five Princeton runners, four from Dartmouth, and one each from Yale and Penn on the squad...

In Jeopardy

The record books are once again in jeopardy. Kubacki, who missed the Harvard single game passing record, held by Jim Stoeckel, by just two yards last week, is only 50 yards shy of Milt Holt's record 1608 total offense mark. McDermott is one touchdown pass shy of tying Harvard and New England marks for a season, as he currently has seven, while Winn needs just two yards to reach the 1000-yard plateau, one which Neal Miller has already conquered...