Kirkland Clinches House Football Title

JOCK SHORTS

It's onto Yale and "The (House) Game" for the gridders from Kirkland House. The perennial kingpins of Harvard intramural football clinched the House League championship yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field, with a 6-0 whitewashing of Eliot House.

Defense was the name of the game in the first half of the pivotal contest. K-House defensive coordinator Mike Bruich's crew kept their shut out string intact. Although Eliot House declined to roll over in awe of the highly touted Kirkland offensive crunchers.

The Committee for the Happy Observance of the Harvard-Yale Game is offering discount rates on a train ride to and from New Haven November 22, for The Game. Round trip train tickets will cost $15.50 and round trip bus fare between New Haven's Union Station and the Yale Bowl is $1.75. Tickets go on sale next Wednesday at the Holyoke Center ticket office, with a limit of two Amtrak tickets per student.

The train (The Minuteman) will depart from Boston's South Station at 8 a.m. Saturday morning and will arrive in New Haven at 10:55 a.m. The return trip is scheduled to leave Union Station at 6:52 p.m. and arrive in Boston at 9:40 p.m. that night.

Harvard (4-0) and Yale (3-1) remain contenders for the Ivy League football crown along with Brown (3-0-1), with three games remaining. Yale is in the Bowl against Penn this Saturday, while Brown travels to Cornell.

The Crimson set the league pace in offense, averaging 404 yards per game and 28.5 points. Yale is second in total yardage with 363 yards, while Columbia used its scoring spree against hapless Cornell to

Midway through the third quarter, Kirkland's potent point machinery got untracked for the contest's lone score. Under the guidance of quarterback Fran Hickey, K-House marched 60 yards for paydirt. Running back Marty Foye capped the drive with a scintillating six-yard uchdown burst.

Foye neatly spun away from two would-be tacklers, then dove for the final two yards, his outstretched frame crossing the elusive goalline. The Kirkland workhorse's urden was increased by the absence of side-kick Burelle Duvauchelle, a former varsity gridder who separated his shoulder in the early going. Gary Gillis came on to still the gap left vacant by Duvauchelle's injury.

Stymied Threat

Following Foye's TD plunge, the Kirkland defense stymied several potential scoring threats. Defensive end Todd Paulivin, middle guard A1 Marek and adjuster Phil Sloan all 'did the deed' on the Eliot House attack.

Vicious hitting by both squads resulted in many turnovers, but the key 'cough-up' move into second place in Ivy scoring, averaging 21.5 per game.

The Elis boast the best defense, limiting the opposition to 255.2 yards a game. Princeton stands second, while Harvard is third. The Bruins are the stingiest team in the Ivies with points, giving up only 11.5 a contest. Harvard is second, allowing opponents only 14 per game.

In the battle for individual stats, Jim Kubacki is still on top in total offense, followed by Princeton's Ron Beible. Beible has the most yards passing (778) while Kubacki has the best percentage of Ivy throwers (.614).

Columbia's Doug Jackson rushed 23 times for 146 yards against Cornell to move him to the top spot among rushers (479 total yards) and earn him the honor of being one of the Ivy Players of the Week.

The other Ivy Player of the Week is Yale's Randy Carter. Carter kicked a 47 yard field goal with no time remaining on the clock to give the Elis a 16-14 victory over Dartmouth. Carter also had field goals of 29 and 35 yards in the afternoon. occurred late in the game. Eliot penetrated inside the Kirkland ten-yard-line, but lost a chance to knot the encounter when a pass completion popped loose. Marty Foye pounced on the fumbled pigskin, insuring the Kirkland triumph.

"Bring on the Bulldogs!" shouted second-year coach Jim Byrne at the final gun. But the game had an added significance for the Kirkland eleven. The team dedicated the victory to House Superintendent Eddie Chamberlain, the squad's most loyal supporter and fervent rooter. Supt. Chamberlain is set to retire after 25 years of meritorious service to Harvard.

In other action, Quincy House drubbed winless Lowell, 21-6, behind the sterling play of John Bernlohr. Mather and Winthrop played to a scoreless tie in a 'must win' situation for both Houses. Neither did, paving the way for Kirkland's clinching.

K-House hopes to avenge last year's 15-14 loss to Yale, and will use next Wednesday's season finale against Quincy as a tune-up for their showdown in Eli land. He stands tenth on the Ivy scoring list.

Harvard's Bob McDermott is tied for the lead in scoring with Jackson and Cornell's Tim LaBeau with 30 points each.

In soccer, a pair of wins last week boosted Connecticut into first place in the New England coaches' poll. Brown (5-1-2) which was upset by Princeton last Saturday, 2-1, slipped into second place in the poll.

Bridgeport is ranked third, followed by Vermont, and Babson and Springfield (6-3) who tie for fifth. Harvard fell off the twenty-team list this week.

In the New England Water Polo Tournament at Brown last weekend, Bucknell walked away with the honors, followed by Army, Pitt, Cornell, Yale Brown, Harvard and Massachusetts.

Harvard and MIT will pool together its water polo stars this evening and take on the Brown team at 7:00 p.m. in Providence. The Cambridge all-stars will meet Claremont College of California on Sunday.

Finally, in Harvard individual football stats, Neal Miller became the 11th Crimson player to reach the 1000-yard career rushing plateau last Saturday. House Football Standings   W  L  T Kirkland  4  0  1 Winthrop  3  1  1 Mather  2  1  2 Eliot  3  2  0 Quincy  3  2  0 Leverett  1  4  0 Lowell  0  6  0