Grid Coach Schutte Dies of Leukemia After Long Illness

By Ralph V. Shohet

Carl W. Schutte '52, Harvard defensive football coach for the last four years, died at 3:45 yesterday morning after a prolonged illness.

Schutte played pro football with the Buffalo Bills from 1948 to 1950 and with the Green Bay Packers from 1950 to 1952. He was varsity line coach at Marquette from 1953 to 1955 and in 1956 joined Joe Restic at Brown where both were assistant coaches. Restic remained a close friend, and Schutte again coached with him for the Hamilton Tiger Cats of the Canadian Football League after seasons with the Sasketchewan Rough Riders, Colgate University and Navy.

When he came to Harvard in 1971 with Restic and Coach Albert P. Bruno, Schutte's quiet manner and dedication to the game quickly earned him the respect and admiration of the players. He "coached for the kids alone. The kids always came first," Bruno said yesterday.

Although Schutte was unable to coach this year, Bill Collatos, a senior linebacker, said that "Carl had developed the system that resulted in a successful season." After a blocked kick during this year's Brown game, the ball was delivered to Schutte in gratitude for the successful defense he had molded.

Schutte was admitted to the hospital in August, on the same day that he was to begin this year's coaching duties. Leukemia was the diagnosis and "the fight he had with cancer reflected the kind of person he was," according to Collatos.

Many of Schutte's players felt that he had hung on for as long as he did to see the outcome of the season. Coach Chester N. O'Neill, Schutte's replacement, said "We dedicated our efforts for the entire season to him."

Coach Schutte leaves behind his wife, Leona, and children, Charles, 27, and Mary Beth, 24. Services will be held in Memorial Church at 2:30 p.m. this Friday.