The Fate of the Yards

The future of the MBTA subway yard site that the Kennedy Library Corporation rejected as a home for the archives ten days ago is still unclear.

Cambridge Mayor Walter J. Sullivan last week asked the city manager to appoint a task force for the purpose of determining the best possible future use of the yards.

No action has been taken on filling that task force because the councilors are on a week-long Florida junket.

Harvard will proceed with its plans to build the Kennedy School of Government and Kennedy Institute of Politics on the 2.18 acres of the 12-acre yard site now owned by the Kennedy Library Corporation, President Bok reaffirmed yesterday.

The rest of the land now owned by the federal government will probably revert to the state with state legislators having jurisdiction over its use.

The legislators may dispose of the land in any fashion they choose, including selling the parcel to the highest bidder.

City officials say they are hoping that the legislators will allow the task force to plan the development of the area