'Clifffe skiers Finish First at Mt. Tom

Squad Inches Past Umas

By Audrey H. Ingber

The Radcliffe ski team edged out University of Massachusetts for first place honors Saturday in a slalom race at Mt. Tom in the Massachusetts Berkshires.

Captain Katy Moss sparked her team's performance, capturing second place overall. Sophomore Lennie Wilson, racing for the first time this season with the Radcliffe squad after a leave of absence, finished second among the team standings, and fifth overall. Freshman Carol Petsonk also contributed to the Crimson triumph, taking as overall ninth.

The last section of the course proved tricky, as many of the top racers from other schools took is ton fast and fell... Although less flamboyant, the 'Cliffe skiers showed steadiness and dependability which paid of in the difficult area.

In Sunday's race, Radcliffe pulled out second place, downed only by Boston University skiers. The second race, normally a giant slalom, had to be held as a regular slalom because of Mt. Tom's short run. Wilson had the best of the 'Cliffe time, taking sixth overall, while Moss finished four-hundreths of a second behind in seventh place.

Off Again-On Again

Junior Nicole Bourgois added her tenth position to put Radcliffe in second, Regina Chrisman from Tufts, who fell in Saturday's event, grabbed first laurels.

In the Radcliffe team's league, the Womens' Intercollegiate Ski Conference most of the schools rely on two or three fast racers, and do not have the backup needed in case on falls. Coach Barbie Grant said yesterday. "We would have won both days if we totalled all the A-team racers of every school. We were the strongest team there."

Grant said she plans to work her skiers hard in the next few weeks. Our training during the fall and winter enabled us to beat the others," she said. "We can best the other schools that have trained as hard as us, but we have to train harder to beat B.U. As it stands now, we have to wait for B.U. to make a mistake to beat them."

Next weekend the 'Cliffe squad goes to Berkshire East to race the same seven schools in the conference.