Student Crowd Career Office To Sign for Bank Interviews

By Daniel E. Larkin

More than 30 student lined up outside the Office of Career Services and Off-Campus Learning yesterday morning a half hour ahead of time to sign up for interviews with hiring personal from two large metropolitan banks.

The office had announced earlier that sign-up sheets for Interviews with representatives of Mellon Bank of Pittsburgh, Pa. and Morgan Guaranty Trust yesterday morning. According to several students who waited in line, applicants had signed up for all 26 timeslots for Mellon Bank and 39 for Morgan Guaranty Trust by 9:15 a.m. By 10 a.m. there were about 40 names on both waiting lists for interviews in case of cancellations.

Robert J. Ginn, assistant director of the office, said yesterday. "The only time I've I've seen more people in this building is when they're demonstrating."

Counselor Cammie Bryant said yesterday that the waiting lists were already longer after two hours than last year's lists after ten days of posting. The office has been encouraging people to sign up early this year, she added.

MassCutbacks

"It definitely reflects the economy," Bryant said. She said that Mellon bank had cut back its openings at all levels from 80 last year to 20 this year. Large New York banks such as Morgan Guaranty Trust, are also cutting back on hiring, but not as severely, she said.

Jeffrey M. Miller '75, who waited in line yesterday morning, said he doubted there has been a significant increase in the number of Harvard students looking for full-time jobs. But he said he believed those looking for career positions are more competitive.

Karen G. Wilson '75, who also waited in line to sign up yesterday morning, said people are coming earlier every week to sign up for interviews. She said she has quit a part-time job just to sign up for interviews early enough. "It's really crazy." Wilson said.

Bryant said she felt that more students here are "keeping all their options open," including those applying to graduate school. "People are scared," she said. Most of the people who are serious about getting a job knew they had to get here early. Bryant said