Crimson Fencing Squad Crushes Brandeis, 20-7 In Tuneup for Princeton

By Andrew P. Quigley

It was a case of David versus Goliath the IAB last night, only this time Goliath won, as the Harvard fencing squad overwhelmed Brandeis, 20-7.

Crimson coach Edo Marion was able to use 14 fencers in the match, following swordsmen who had seen little varsity action throughout the year to gain some experience.

Major, Major, Major

A highlight of the match was the 3-0 performance turned in by sophomore John Major. Major, who is normally at foil was moved by Marion to sabre to replace the injured Steve Hobby, who is out for the year with colitis. Major easily handled all three of his Brandeis opponents, winning by 1-5, 2-5, and 3-5 margins.

Harvard ace sabreman Gordon Rutledge was also undefeated at sabre taking both of his bouts with case. In the other sabre bouts. Larry Tu and Mike Pavne both were 1-1.

Felled Again

The Crimson had its biggest problems in the foil bouts, as Brandeis's Steve Stringer swept all three of his Crimson opponents including Harvard star Phillipe Bennett.

"He (Stringer) really isn't all that good." Bennett said. "We just weren't fencing very smart against him.

Bennett did beat his other Brandeis opponent however, by a handy 5-1 advantage. In the other foil bouts Nick Lepe who took Major's place turned in a strong 2-1 performance. Larry White was also 2-1, and Revnaldo Draz won his only bout of the evening.

Simmons Strong

The epee bouts saw six different Crimson fencers in action Matt Simmons was very strong in winning both of his bouts, as was Sam Anderson in taking his two contests John Hershield also took two bouts from his Owl opponents.

In the other epee bouts freshman Robert Fillman won his contest but both Levi Perry and John Hawkins lost close matches.

The match with Brandeis was clearly only a tuneup for Marton's swordsmen for the battle against Princeton this Saturday.

The Tigers are a perennial power in the Ivy League, and have beaten Harvard by close scores the last two seasons.

Revenge

"We'll be out for revenge," said White "and I think we can beat them."

Bennett added. "We have a few more days of practice before we meet Princeton, and I think it's inevitable that we'll beat them."