Officials With University Associations May Not Be Able to Serve on Panel

The Boston School Committee has challenged the right of two officials associated with Harvard to serve on a panel studying Boston school desegregation.

James J. Sullivan, Jr. attorney for the School Committee, argued in court Wednesday that the Harvard connections of Charles V. Willie, professor of Education, and Francis Keppel '38, former dean of the Graduate School of Education and former U.S. education commissioner, constituted a conflict of interest.

Sullivan, who represents the school committee in its fight against Judge Arthur H. Garrity's desegregation order, said that since the three attorneys representing the plaintiff NAACP also have Harvard connections. Keppel and Willie should not serve on the panel.

Robert Pressman and Eric VanLoon, two of the lawyers for the NAACP, are now employed by the Harvard Center for Law and Education. Pressman now serves as the center's director, and a third plaintiff attorney, J. Harold Flannery, is the former acting director.

Sullivan claimed Garrity's appointment of Willie and Keppel violated Massachusetts's conflict of interest law. "Justice is important, but the appearance of justice is equally important," he said.

"Therefore, it is my contention that at least in appearance. Willie and Keppel should not be the finders of fact," Sullivan said.

Willie said yesterday he thought it was inappropriate for him to comment.

Sullivan said it was up to Garrity to make the final decision on the appointments.