Radcliffe Basketball Squad Beats Emmanuel, Prepares for Tough Saturday Game at Brown

By Audrey H. Ingber

The Radcliffe basketball team responded quickly in the closing minutes of last night's game against Emmanuel College, pulling out a 54-48 win.

During the first half, sparked by a sterling performance by Maude Wood, the 'Cliffe women outscored their opponents 35-25. Working their offense quickly, they moved the ball with fast, accurate passes, waiting until they found the open player with the good shot.

The cagers scrambled the Emmanuel defense as 'Cliffe players found the hoop from different spots on the floor, leading to a balanced scoring attack, Wood and Denise Thal each sunk 14 points. Lisa Muscatine put in ten and Captain Jeannie Guyton hit for nine.

After the game, coach John McCarthy said, "they played their best game offensively in a long while."

The 'Cliffe hoopsters sat back most of the second half, surging forward only in spurts. A strong Emmanuel team took advantage of its opportunities and fought its way back to a 37-37 tie. Until the final buzzer, the game was up for the taking.

Self-Confidence

In the closing minutes, the Radcliffe women played with self-confidence. Working their press agressively, they forced Emmanuel into successive turnovers.

In a key play, freshman Kathy Fulton stole the ball and whipped it downcourt to Muscatine, who dropped it through the hoop in a turnaround lay-in, putting Radcliffe ahead for good.

Emmanuel returned with a woman to woman defense that tailed to rattle the Cliffe Squad Responding immediately with a play held in reserve for such situations the offense opened up the middle for Wood to score and ice the victory for Radcliffe.

Best Under Pressure

The Crimson team seemed pleased with its finishing performance Lissa Muscatine said, "we proved ourselves in the end. We came through under pressure and played best when it was closest. It was good for the team to have accomplished that."

Muscatine was probably thinking ahead, along with the rest of the team, to Saturday's important game against the tough Brown team.

The Bruins defeated the 'Cliffe squad in overtime at the Princeton Ivy League tournament before Christmas and again last weekend in the finals of the MIT Invitational.