Student Committee at Brown To Advise on Budget Priorities

The Brown University Corporation approved Friday the formation of a student-faculty advisory committee on the 1975-76 Brown budget while 2500 students, almost one-third of the student body, rallied on the Brown campus.

The students were protesting the Brown administration's proposed budget cuts in faculty, student financial aid and counseling services, released by President Donald F. Hornig '40 in mid-February.

"I think it's probably the most important thing to happen at Brown in years." Tony Affigne, president of the Brown student government, said last night. "It gives the students a powerful say in determining the budget."

Hornig said last night, "We welcome any ideas on how to avoid reductions in faculty and financial aid. But I'm very skeptical, after people have put many months in on the budget, as to how much is possible to do."

"There's a very exciting mood on campus," said Kim Schoenholtz, one of five representatives of a student coalition formed by various campus groups. The coalition presented a proposal on the formation of an advisory committee to the Corporation's Committee on Advisors and Executives on Friday.

Schoenholtz said the members of the advisory committee will be chosen Tuesday by the student coordinating committee of the coalition, and will include four undergraduates, one graduate student, four faculty members and one chairperson, probably the university chaplain.

Veto Power

The Brown Corporation retains final veto power over the budget. Judge Alfred Joslin, secretary of the Corporation and member of the Brown Board of Fellows, said yesterday.

"No vote will be taken on the budget until students have the opportunity to make input." Joslin said, "provided that input is in by April 19."

"To the extent that the student committee recommendations are better than the administration's, they will be approved," Joslin said.

Schoenholtz said that if the budget suggested by the new committee is not approved, he is "certain that the students will take action."

The present budget does not "reflect the needs of the undergraduates." Schoenholtz said.

Schoenholtz said the rally and organizing effort around the issue was "the most effective at Brown in the last nine or ten years."

He said he felt Brown students will finally have an effective voice in what Brown is to be like.