The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned

Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands

Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Terriers Down Crimson Skaters, 10-5; NCAA Consolation Loss Ends Season

By Elizabeth P. Eggert, Special to The Crimson

ST. LOUIS--Harvard's varsity hockey team closed out its 1974-75 season Saturday by dropping a 10-5 decision to Boston University in a somewhat meaningless NCAA consolation game 1038 miles from Cambridge.

The Crimson's defeat before a meager crowd in St. Louis Arena gave Harvard (23-6) a fourth place finish in the nation, the same ranking as last year. The Terriers, 26-5-1 overall, took the third slot, also for the second consecutive season.

Harvard's skaters were eliminated in the NCAA's semifinal round last Thursday when they fell to Minnesota, 6-4, after squandering a 4-1 lead. Boston University, in the other semifinal match, took a 9-5 drubbing from Michigan Tech, which outclassed the Gophers 6-1 in the finale to finish first in the country.

The West Dominates

This year marked the 22nd time in the NCAA's 28-year history that a western team has garnered the national crown. Harvard has reached the playoffs seven times but has never advanced beyond the semifinals.

The Crimson jumped out to an early 3-1 lead, but with five minutes remaining in the opening stanza. Boston University began a five-goal barrage. Midway through the second period, the Terriers held a 6-3 edge.

The teams traded goals near the end of the middle period, and three minutes into the final stanza. Harvard's Jim Thomas scored on a power play, cutting B.U.'s lead to 7-5. The Terriers' Bill Burlington, Mike Fidler and Mike Eruzione tallied in the contest's final five minutes to put the game away.

Fidler, a freshman out of Maiden Catholic High School, and junior Terry Meagher each scored the hat trick to pace the B.U. offense. Paul Haley, Kevin Carr and Dave Gauthier (two goals) converted for the Crimson.

John Aiken made 19 stops for Harvard while B.U.'s Pat Devlin blocked 24 shots. Defenseman Ed Rossi, nursing a shoulder injury, and forward Leigh Hogan, nursing a muscle pull in his stomach, both sat out the game. Captain Randy Roth finished the year with a team-high total of 49 points.