Institute of Politics Establishes Fund for Summer Internships

The Institute of Politics will grant a maximum of $1000 per person in financial aid to undergraduates working in the Institute's government intern program this summer, Jonathan Moore, director of the Institute, said yesterday.

The grants are the result of a December 20 report by a committee composed of members of the Institute and the Office of Career Services and Off-Campus Learning, which recommended that the Institute aid students who would otherwise not by able to afford these jobs, Moore said.

The number of students who will receive aid is still uncertain since the program is experimental, and the budget has not yet been determined, Janet-Fraser, assistant director of the Institute said yesterday.

The maximum grant for a summer job will be $600 and up to $400 more as an additional award in the fall. Fraser said. The selection of students for the grants will be based entirely on financial need, she said.

"The experimental and limited financial aspects of this program should be stressed," Moore said, "because this is not an employment service, but an intern program in the public sector, designed not to automatically exclude people who need to earn money for college expenses from taking these public sector jobs, which don't pay as much as many other jobs."

Charles R. Ruemelin, co-chairman of the committee that recommended the grant, said yesterday the committee "worked all through the fall to see what the University could do to help undergrads employed in the public sector" because each year "more and more of these jobs are volunteer, and students in financial need could not afford to take such jobs."

"Last year, financial-aid students had little chance of getting internship jobs," Richard A. Shatten '77, the committee's other co-chairman, said yesterday. "This program should help to solve that problem."

The deadline for application is April 25, and the Institute will announce the winners in May.