Crimson Nine Tops Independent, 23-2

Indy Outclassed in Softball Contest

By Archibald A. Acorn iii

The Harvard Crimson easily demolished a green Harvard Independent nine, 23-2, in a cold, wet contest Saturday afternoon.

The Indy opened up a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first behind the hitting, running and slashing of ex-publisher and new ringer, Jim Harreill.

The Crimson nine came back, however, and did they ever come back. An infield homer by Crimson president Nick "Crazy Legs" Lemann started off the scoring barrage that promised to be unrelenting throughout the seven -inning contest.

Indy mentor Alison Mitchell was sent to the showers after she allowed 14 runs in two innings as the starting pitcher. Her ERA of 63 qualified her as a candidate for the Guiness Book of World Records as the worst living pitcher.

On the Chin

Mitchell took her the first loss of the season on the chin though as she said, "I know we didn't have a chance from the beginning."

Independent trainer and chief bat boy Peter Borowitz was bitter about the 23-2 humiliation. "We have no business scheduling major league teams when we're just a rinky-dink squad," he said. Borowitz directed the Indy play from the dugout.

Crimson executive editor Phil Weiss, who braved the elements by playing in a tee-shirt and cute yellow gym shorts, was the defensive standout of the afternoon.

Time after time he made seemingly unbelievable catches. Only after the game did he admit in having lined his glove with flypaper.

Boringwitz

The Independent, lacking uniforms, played the game in make-shift outfits which had a piece of stationery with a large red "HI" plastered on the front and back of each player. Borowitz said, however, that the team was equipped with its "Harvard Independent" pens.

Chief bench-warmer and ex-Indy sports editor David Smith was absent from the contest. Although not confirmed, rumors claim that the hockey writer was still trying to thumb back from St. Louis where he watched the Harvard icemen dance with grandeur and then leave him behind. He was last seen sitting under the soaring arch in St. Louis next to the Mississippi.