B.U. Nips Brown in O.T., 5-4

BOSTON--Sophomore Rick Meagher's slap shot goal 1:42 into sudden death yesterday gave Boston University a 5-4 ECAC quarterfinal victory over stubborn Brown.

The Bruins, 6-3 victims of the powerful Terriers in regular season, had led by two goals for much of the game and forced B.U. to come from behind for the tie at 14:43 of the final period on Ken Kuzyk's goal.

Brown, operating around sophomore goalie Kevin McCabe, got two-goal performances from Dave Given and Bill Gilligan in threatening the major upset.

Gilligan's second of the night came at 14:11 of the third period to give the Bruins a 4-3 bulge, but Kuzyk knotted the count and forced overtime just 32 seconds later when he converted from immediately in front of McCabe on Mike Fiddler's pass from the backboards.

Mike Eruzione, Rick Meagher with Eruzione assisting, and Bill Buckton collected the other B.U. goals as the Terriers ran their ECAC record to 21-2 with their seventh straight victory.

McCabe wound up with 55 saves, an ECAC record, and had thoroughly frustrated the Terriers through most of the game.

The University of Vermont Catamounts scored five unanswered goals in the final period of last night's ECAC Division I quarter-final game, to beat the Providence College Friars 7-5.

Vermont trailed 5-2 with 12:19 left in the game when the string of goals started with a power play goal by freshman Randy Koch.

Tim O'Connell closed the gap and 37 seconds later Andy Rickard tied the game.

John Harper sparked a second period scoring flurry to lead Cornell past the University of New Hampshire 4-2 in the hockey quarterfinals last night.

Dave Peace and Gary Young added two more goals in the second period to break New Hampshire. Dick Weber started Cornell's scoring with a first period tally.

Cap Raeder stopped 36 pucks aimed at the New Hampshire goal while Cornell's Dave Chrastina protected the Big Red nets from 39 shots.