CHUL Recognizes New Organization Of Black Students

By Mercedes A. Laing

The Association of Black Radcliffe Woman, has been recognized by the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life.

The group was approved unanimously Wednesday without discussion, Ellen Keiman '76, the north House CHUL representative, said yesterday,

"I think everyone was aware that black women in society in general, and at Harvard in particular, have special needs," she said.

Shelley Anderson '77, acting chairman of the new organization told the CHUL meeting: "Our function is to act as a catalyst to bring black women on Harvard University's campus together for academic, cultural, political and social purposes."

She said the group's present concerns include assisting in minority recruitment, establishing contact with alumni, starting a "Big Sibling" program for nest year's black freshwomen and publishing a newsletter for members and alumni.

The group was organized after a March 2 meeting attended by 65 black women, voted to unanimously from an autonomous organization, Anderson said.

"We felt it was needed so we could specifically cater to black women's needs on a comparative back," she said.

"I'm sure there will be a number of projects we'll be working on with other groups," Anderson said, adding that their primary concerns will be handled within the group.

Anderson said she hopes other black women connected with Harvard will "participate actively" in the organization.

"We're tying to acquaint black women students, professors, and administrators," she said.