Ford Speech Evokes Critical Response By Faculty Members

By Steven C. Bonsey

Several members of the Harvard faculty responding to President Ford's speech last night said they had difficulty taking seriously his request for military aid to South Vietnam, and expressed doubt in the chances for Congressional compliance with Ford's request for immediate approval.

Ford asked Congress last night to approve $722 million in military aid to the embattled South Vietnamese by April 19.

"It is quite obvious that Congress is not likely to pass anything like that, maybe nothing at all, and certainly not in a week." Samuel P. Huntington, said last night.

Huntington added, however, that there should be no difficulty with Congressional approval of funds for humanitarian aid.

Edwin O. Reischauer, University professor, agreed with Huntington, but said. "The question is whether there will be enough time to spend the money."

"There is not much time left, and there is a question whether they can devise a system to save the Americans and the South Vietnamese in danger to whom we do owe our aid. Reischauer said.

Michael L. Walzer, professor of Government, said it was "hard to believe that Congress will take seriously" the request for military aid.

John K. Fairbank '29, Higginson professor of History, said he approved of the humanitarian aid, but not the military aid proposals.

Huntington said he found in the State of the World Address a Ford, rather than Kissinger, foreign policy.

In its simple, direct, traditional presentation, it is distinctly Ford in style and substance." he said.

"I find it extraordinary that he managed never to mention his secretary of state, although I do not think this signifies a terrible rift between Ford and Kissinger.