Ten League Writers Selected to All-Ivy Squads

By The CRIMSON Sports staff

All-Boston, All-New England, All-Ivy, All-American, All-World, All-Universe...The list of All-Everything teams seems to stretch forever. And after watching writers rate players for the All-this and All-that teams all winter long, the Crimson gives fans a turnabout with a rating of sports writers, on a collegiate basis anyway, with The Harvard Crimson All-Ivy sportswriting Team.

Nominations were collected from the sports staffs of the Ivy League school papers and a ballot with the names of those nominated was returned to the Schools. Based on a tabulation of the noting a five-man fist and second team has been made of five additional writers.

Joe Barks, sports editor of The Daily Pennsvlvanian. Led the voting for the first team. Barks was cited for his coverage of hockey and baseball and for his columns (entitled "Worse than the Bite").

Evan Radcliffe of Princeton was named to the first team as was Mark Mullan, sports editor of The Dartmouth, Mullan, who moved up to the first squad after last year's second-team berth, wrote that Evan Radcliffe "Called Dartmouth fans raunchy.'" for which he gave Radcliffe an A plus, an opinion with which we concur.

Jon Lukomnik and Jim Reinig, sports editors to The Columbia Daily Spectator and The Harvard Crimson respectively, round out the first-team selections. Lukomnik is largely credited with the expansion of the sports coverage by The Daily Spectator. Reinig, who was also named to last year's second squad is cited for his work on The Crimson's spring sports supplement published last month and for his reporting of swimming and baseball.

Dirk Allen of The Brown Daily Herald and Peter Seldin from Princeton head the second team All-Ivy. Allen is lauded for his revival of The Daily Herald sports page and for his basketball coverage. Seldin, sports editor of The Daily Princetonian, was also picked for his coverage of Princeton's NIT champion basketball team.

Basketball writers appear to have a lock on second team spots as Charlie Service from Penn and The Crimson's Mike Savit were selected for their coverage of the sport.

Dave Newton, Cornell Daily Sun Sports editor, for his writing about the ECAC quarterfinalist hockey team wraps up the All-Ivy Sportswriting squads.

Special mention is made of five writers for their activities in the past year. Howard Blatt is honorably mentioned for the part he played in upgrading The Columbia Daily Spectator sports page.

Football writers Tom Aronson from Harvard and Mike Buxbaum from Yale are cited. Aronson kept the Harvard community informed with his descriptions of The Crimson pigskin heroes. In his weekly column. "Tom Columns," he predicted the outcome of other Ivy contests ending the season with an amazing .780 average.

Buxbaum who wrote about the highs and lows of Eli football was even of occasion written about. He became famous in the December 2, 1974 issue of Sports Illustrated where Robert Boyle told about his suffering after the Harvard-Yale game.

Buzzy Bissinger, ex-sports editor of The Daily Pennsylvanian is given the William Shockley Memorial Award for his racist comments during the D.P.-Crimson touch football game last November.

The "Dean of Ivy Sportswriters," as he has been called, ex-Crimson sports editor Bill "Rock" Stedman is lauded for his work over the last year. Not only responsible for a special football supplement for the Harvard-Yale game in the Crimson's 100th season, Stedman often carried The Crimson sports department last year as he covered everything from sailing to Radcliffe field hockey to Harvard hockey.

Last year, special recognition went out to the enthusiastic Daily Pennsylvanian sports staff. This year the staffs of The Columbia Daily Spectator and The Brown Daily Herald are so honored. The sports pages of both papers have developed and improved a great deal within the past year.