'Cliffe Stickwomen Conquer Jumbos

Johnson Tallies Hat Trick

Anne Johnson and Barbara Matson combined for five goals to lead Radcliffe's lacrosse team to its second win of the spring, a 7-4 decision over Tufts at the latter's home field yesterday afternoon.

Matson got the 'Cliffe off to a fast start as she tallied two early goals. Tufts, however, managed to stay close, and only the stellar goaltending of Stephanie Lear, who is playing lacrosse for the first time this spring, kept the Jumbos from deadlocking the score.

The Radcliffe superiority soon began to show, as the visitors controlled the play in the second period and took a 5-3 halftime lead. The play of Johnson proved instrumental in Radcliffe's surge, as she and Carrie Minot tallied for the visitors.

Tough Victory

Two goals in the final half clinched Radcliffe's victory, a win which, according to Matson, "proved much tougher than we expected." "The defense, featuring Karen Durbin, played well, and Stephanie was fantastic, but we had a problem with our midfielders. We'll have to practice clearing the ball from the defensive to the offensive zone," she said.

The inability of Radcliffe's midfielders to clear the ball is a recurring problem, one which hampered the 'Cliffe in last Saturday's 12-4 loss to Penn, the team's first Ivy encounter of the spring.

Ivy Grudge Match

Radcliffe will attempt to even its Ivy slate at 1-1 this Saturday afternoon when it hosts Yale at Soldiers Field. In preparation for the grudge match with the Elis, the 'Cliffe travels to Dana Hall tomorrow afternoon in search of its third victory.