Stickmen Overcome B.C. To Capture First Victory

Bill Tennis scored eight goals last night as the Harvard lacrosse team rolled to a 15-9 victory over Boston College at Alumni Stadium enroute to its win of the season.

A fine defensive effort and a controlled attacking game proved to be the keys for the Crimson squad. "We were moving the ball, hitting the open man, and getting the fast breaks," captain Jim Quinn said last night after the game.

Tennis started his first game at attack last night, and the switch from midfield paid off. Quinn, Bill MacKenzie, and Bruce Bruckmann each notched two goals and, along with Tennis, proved to be just too much for the beleaguered Eagles to handle.

The defense, despite a second-period lapse in which B.C. jumped to a 4-3 lead, also played a good game. Jeff Flanders played particularly well covering the Eagles dangerous Wally Cox.

A late second-period surge put the Crimson ahead by two at the half 7.5. and it was never threatened after that as it upped the margin to 9-6 at the end of three over the fading B.C. team.

The first midfield was also hot last night, especially in the faceoffs, as it won 20 out of 28 of them. Mike Doherty played a particularly good game, as his passing into the offensive zone seemed to be getting the offense untracked.

LeRoy Thompson had 18 saves in the nets, while his opposite number had 14, "Overall, I'd have to say that it was a nice team effort." Quinn said last night.