DuBois Student Coalition Holds House Talks, Guerilla Theater

By Beth Stephens

The DuBois Institute Student Coalition began last night a week of guerilla skits and House meetings designed to win student support for its plans for the proposed W.E.B. Dubois Institute for Afro-American Studies.

Members of the coalition enacted a "trial" of President Bok and Andrew F. Brimmer, chairman of the DuBois Institute Advisory Board, at Adams House dining hall last night, for their failure to implement the student proposals.

The coalition's proposals, submitted to the advisory board last February, call for a connection between the proposed institute and both the Afro-American Studies Department and the black community, and for student participation in planning the institute.

On March 25, Brimmer rejected the student demands, just hours after over a 100 students picketed Mass Hall demanding their implementation.

Brimmer said then that he rejected the demands because the DuBois Institute will be a graduate student research center, with no connections to the undergraduate Afro Department or undergraduate students, and will be devoted to research, rather than to community problems.

Peter S. Hogness '76, a member of the student coalition, said yesterday that next week's events will culminate in a demonstration on the steps of Memorial Church on May 2.

In rejecting the demands, Brimmer also distinguished between the Afro-American Studies Department, which he said had student participation written into its charter, and the DuBois Institute, with its commitment to graduate study.

Brimmer dismissed institute involvement in the black community, calling it a "center for thought and scholarship."