Radcliffe Swimmers Recover From Losses Early in Season

The Radcliffe swim team saw an 11-year old undefeated dual-meet competition record washed away early in the season by Mount Holyoke, but finished its slate with a strong second effort.

This year, instead of the normal handful of regular swimmers and a collection of occasional fillers, the 'Cliffe squad, allowed to practice in the IAB for the first time, totaled 26. It was the depth of the squad, rather than its stars, that accounted for wins from the last few events.

A strong freshman lineup led the way in the distances, with backstroker and freestyler Laurie Downey garnering the honors. Backing her up on the point total were breaststrokers Carol Moore and Diana Borden.

Senior tri-captain Nancy Sato ably handled the diving events for the squad. Sato captured the New England Intercollegiate Diving Championship at Brown and set a pool and meet record in the process, leading the team to an eighth-place finish behind strong competition from Connecticut College and Springfield.

At the National Women's Championships in Arizona, Sato placed 20th in the one-meter board and 21st on the three meter in strong winds that nearly halted the competition.

Surprise

Downey, seeded 70th in the 100-yard backstroke, surprised everyone with a 21 place finish in a field of 86. Downey also grabbed a 34 in the 200-yard individual medley.

During the regular season, close point totals went to the last events, with the freestyle relay deciding victory.