Bell May Leave Law School; Visiting Black Scholars Named

Derrick A. Bell Jr, professor of Law and the Law School's only black professor, said Friday he may not return to the Law School after his leave of absence next year.

Bell said that while teaching at Emory University and writing next year, he wants to "see if some of the problems we have here exist elsewhere, in other academic institutions."

November Threat

In a confidential letter to his colleagues in November. Bell threatened to resign it the Law School did not substantially increase its efforts to hire minority faculty.

Albert M. Sacks, dean of the Law School, said Saturday he has had no indication from Bell that he may not return. "As with any faculty member, we want to have him here." Sacks said.

Sacks said the Law School has made "a very strong effort" to attract minorities and cited the appointment of two black scholars to visiting professorships for next year.

Visiting Professors

Sacks announced the appointment of Clarence Clyde Ferguson Jr., dean and professor of law at Howard University, to a two-year visiting professorship.

He also said Harry Edwards, professor of law at the University of Michigan Law School, has accepted a one-year visiting professorship here.

Bell said he thinks "it is worthwhile for me to look around" but added that other places may be worse in terms of minority returning and elitism.

"If I find a better place, I would have to evaluate at with what I have here." Bell said adding there are a lot of good things here.

Bell determing the professional appointments "worthwhile" and "a step in the night direction said. "I just hope they will be followed by more.

William L. Bruce '46, vice dean and affirmative action officer of the Law School, said Saturday the Law School tries to recruit minority applicants for Law School positions. He also said he believes the Law School in "right on the target" set by the Law School's affirmative action projections for professorships.

Of the 59 Law School professors in the 1974-1975 academic year, one is black, one has a Spanish surname and two are women