Cliffe Heavies Will Travel to Europe; To Battle Crews in Germany, Holland

By Kathleen T. Riley

The Radcliffe Heavyweight Crew will test its undefeated record this summer when it meets top European National crews in Germany and Holland.

The oarswomen will leave Boston tonight for Ratzerburg. West Germany, which is about 60 miles from Hamburg. After meeting boats from East German and Dutch clubs on the 14th and 15th, the crew will journey to Amsterdam for a regatta on June 28 and 29.

"The Ratzerburg regatta is really a training event." Coach John Baker said yesterday. "Almost everyone will be at Amsterdam. It should be a super time."

The Amsterdam regatta, which Baker called second in prestige to the World Championships, will include national teams from East Germany. West Germany, France and Russia.

The trip, which was in doubt early last week, received the necessary funding from Radcliffe alumnae. Robert B. Watson, director of athletics, said yesterday.

"The $4000 difference between the cost of going to the National Championships at Princeton (funded by a special account available to the athletic department for pre and post season competition) and Germany will be handled by Radcliffe, most likely from alumnae," Watson said.

"The Friends of Harvard Rowing will help defray some of the cost for the Harvard lightweight and heavyweight trips this summer." Watson said "Hopefulls next fall we will be able to organize a similar group to assist Radcliffe sports he added

The oarswomen will finance approximately 30 percent of the cost themselves, Baker said.

With the boat already shipped over, the crew has been practicing fours this past weekend. Baker said that he entered fours in all of the races in case illness affects the eight. A decision on the specific makeup of the four would be "spur of the moment." he said.

Bow to Stroke

From bow to stroke, the crew will be: sophomore Robin Lothrop: Gail Rasmussem, a freshman: junior Ann Robinson: Diane Hickman, another freshman, at 4: junior co-captain Alison Hill at 5: next year's captain junior Katy Moss; sophomore Allison Hall at 7: and Barbara Norris, next year's RUS president, at stroke. Cox will be junior co-captain Nancy Hadley.

Having no seniors on the boat this year is an advantage, Baker said. Last year the crew had to wait until after graduation to leave for the National, held in California the next day. "The eight and four came in second behind BU. "We beat them three or four times during the regular season. The long flight before the race really hurt the crew's performance," Baker said.

"This is the fastest crew that Radcliffe or this country has ever produced." Baker said. "It would be a shame for them not to find out how fast they really are. As to the results of the races, they are completely in the dark."

The last European trip for the Radcliffe crew was in 1971 when after winning the National at Philadelphia. It went to Nottingham, England in July and to Moscow in August