Woman Student, Denied B&G Job, Charges Harvard Discriminated

By Brian D. Young

A Radcliffe student has filed a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission charging that Harvard discriminated against her on the basis of sex when she was refused employment on the dorm crew in June.

Ellen G. Green '76, said yesterday, "I was tied to repeatedly by Al Pritchard, the person responsible for hiring dorm crews at the Business School."

Told Jobs Filled

Green, who was a member of the dorm crew at the Business School for one week said she asked Pritchard every day that week if she could stay on for a second week of work and that he told her the only positions open had already been filled. On her last day of work, Green said, Pritchard offered a job "to a white male fight in front of me, and he didn't even ask for the job."

Pritchard said yesterday, "I do not remember Ellen Green and this is the first I've heard of the complaint."

William Lee assistant to the director of Buildings and Grounds, said yesterday that the University has received format notice of the claim from the EEOC. But he added that his officer can take the action because the notice does not charge any individuals.

The EEOC notice was that Ellen Green claims to be aggrieved regarding from an alleged violation occurring on June 6th 1975". The charge is described as "discriminatory hiring practices based on sex".

Hired for One Week

Green was initially hired by the Office Student Employment for one week of work on the dorm crew--At the end of that week the supervisors of Buildings and Grounds--in this case Pritchard--decide which students are hired for additional work. At Harvard College and Radcliffe Buildings and Grounds, the decision is made by letters.

Green, who is an financial aid, said, "I really could have used the money, but the unfairness of the situation is what really bothered me."

Once an investigation is completed by the EEOC a stationary be brought against Harvard University for violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits, employers from discriminating against employees or applicants on the basis of sex.

A spokesman for the EEOC, said yesterday, that an investigation should be started within the month, but there was no way to determine when it would be completed.

Green, who filed the claim in the beginning of June said, "I have no idea when anything will come of this claim. It has been sitting around for over a month."

The reason I filed the claim was to get people at B&G to use some fair procedures for deciding which students get to stay the extra week I just didn't like getting tied to," she added.

"I wasn't sure whether to file a claim but when I explained the situation to the people at EEOC they convinced me that I had a reasonable complaint, and I should file a claim," she said.

Month Delay

A spokesman for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission said that the reason for the month delay on modifying Harvard of the complaints has that the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination has the first opportunity to investigate.

If after 30 days the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination does not act then the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has jurisdiction over the complaint.