Crimson, MIT Booters Kick Off Season; Acorn, Bullard Will Foot the Offense

By Richard J. Doherty

1963 was a big year on the music scene. The Cascades were cruising with "Rhythm of the Rain," Little Stevie Wonder hit the charts with "Fingertips" and Ruby and the Romantics were making sock hops tops crooning "Our Day Will Come." In 1963 the MIT soccer team beat Harvard 3-2.

Since then however the Technicians have had nothing to sing about. "Their Day" has not returned and the Crimson booters have continually exploited MIT's good neighbor policy by kicking off season after season on a winning note. Today should be no exception when the two teams tangle at the Business School Field.

Rebuilding Year

In a rebuilding year last year the Crimson footmen posted a surprisingly strong 7-4-2 record; good enough to capture second place in the Ivies. Yesterday coach and occasional drillmaster (according to condition-weary cadets) George Ford said he felt this year would also he a rebuilding one.

"We have been looking really good, however and I hope to surprise some clubs," he said. "The boys have improved 100 per cent skill-wise and so we'll be able to beat them on soccer plus conditioning."

This year Ford's rebuilding claims don't pack quite the punch they did a year ago. He has returning on defense a tandem of All-Ivies in co-captains Ralph Booth and Geoff Hargadon. Joining the fullback defense today will be Kevin Jiggets a big fast back who looks tough to beat.

To balance things out Ford has a duo upfield in charge of scoring. Cinderella sophomore Lyman Bullard is now a seasoned veteran and Dave Acorn will be on hand to take some of the close coverage off last year's leading scorer, Bullard.

The Crimson will be working out of a 4-3-3 offense with freshmen Matt Boyer playing an offensive center forward. Joining Boyer in the midfield spots will be last year's starter Chris Saunders and Harold Martin.

Also expected to see action near the center stripe will be John Littlefield and Doug Stone, seniors who, Ford claims, "have really come on strong this year and look real good."

Up for Grabs

Freshman Dave Eaton and junior Mike Lohrer will shore up the offense at the winger spots leaving only the creasekeeping chores up for grabs. Tomorrow Ford will go with experience calling on Hal Weeks to start in goal.

"Basically we're a long ball club," Midfielder Stone said about the Crimson offense. "But we've had a lot of emphasis this year on passing and developing a more stylish play. The center half will be the target man for infield passes so that it may look as though we're running out of a 5-2-3 lineup."

Last Saturday the booters dribbled their way by a formidable Rhode Island squad winning 1-0. Ford said he was generally impressed with the team's performance, but was disappointed with the lack of communication between his fullbacks.

Assuming the potentially potent defense plays up to par the Crimson eleven should send the visitors back home to the tune of Ruby and the Romantics. Kickoff for today's game is 3:30 p.m.