Fellowships for Women Await Carnegie Funding

The Radcliffe Institute will establish a program of part-time fellowships for non-tenured women faculty if a subsidy from The Carnegie Foundation is approved next month by the foundation's trustees, the director of the Radcliffe Institute said yesterday.

Patricia A. Graham said the Carnegie Foundation and the institute are still "in the discussion stage about a budget" for the proposed fellowships. She said the foundation will not make its final decision on the grant until October.

Florence Anderson, financial officer and secretary of the Carnegie Foundation, said yesterday she does not know if the foundation's trustees will approve the institute's proposal. She said the decision will be announced next month.

Teaching and Research

The fellowship will allow non-tenured women in the Boston area to divide their time equally between teaching and research while affiliated with the institute.

Graham would not say how much money the institute is requesting from the foundation but did say that, if approved, the grant would be enough to provide fellowships for about six women a year.

Graham said the institute will give each woman annually half an assistant professor's salary--or about $6500--with the school where the woman works paying the other half.

Too Busy

The institute developed the part-time fellowships because non-tenured women faculty are often too busy teaching to publish anything, Graham said.

If the Carnegie trustees approve the funds for the fellowships, she said, the institute will put the program into effect this year so women can apply this spring for an appointment beginning in July 1976.

30 Fellowships

This year, the institute granted 30 fellowships to women "involved in academic life, the arts or professions," Graham said.

These fellowships are funded both by the institute itself and by the Rockefeller, Guggenheim and Ford Foundations.

Graham said that unlike the Carnegie funding, the institute is not involved in obtaining grants from any of these foundations but that scholors apply for them individually.