A Slap on the Back

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

After reading the Crimson on and off for the past two years while a student at Harvard Law School, I drew to the conclusion that The Crimson's esteemed reputation was overblown. I found a good deal of your reporting inadequate, your choice of stories and the play of these stories too oriented to politics and an absymal lack of attention to the real story at Harvard--people.

I have just completed reading your Commencement issue and it is tremendous--as a singular piece of student newspaper output, it is one of the best publications I've ever seen. It contradicts all the opinions I had formed of The Crimson over the last two years. In particular, I was very impressed by the quality of your sections on what students were doing after they graduate, what they have done in their four years here, the trivia bit section and your articles on Finley and Riesman. Any student attending Harvard or the least bit interested in knowing the soul of Harvard would do well to spend a couple of hours pouring over the edition.

As an undergraduate at the University of Florida, I had the privilege of being editor-in-chief of The Florida Alligator. All I can say is I wish we had dealt with graduation in such a fine manner. Randy I. Bellows