College Will Limit Mixers To Those with ID Cards

By Sarah C.M. Paine and David J. Wlody

In the wake of disturbances last weekend at two River House mixers, Archie C. Epps, dean of students, has set up guidelines requiring students to present Harvard I.D. cards at future dances, or to be accompanied by Harvard students, and also limiting advertising for dances to the University.

Epps said similar guidelines already exist, but Houses sponsoring dances have not enforced them.

The new guidelines also recommend that House functions be more closely supervised by House staff, and that police protection be increased.

Epps said the new guidelines are a result of "our concern over the fact that students have been in danger over the past two weeks."

Outside Agitators

During the Yale weekend, brawls involving mostly people from outside the University took place at Lowell and Leverett House mixers. One Cambridge youth was knocked unconscious at Lowell House.

At Leverett, disturbances took place outside the House, on Mill Street, when police forced a Cambridge youth to leave the dance.

Kip Smith '77, a Leverett House student and bouncer at the mixer, said there was no exchange of blows but many people present were "looking for a fight."

Smith said that he was "really impressed" by the restrained conduct of Harvard police. He added that the police prevented a more serious incident from occuring.

Quite a Brawl

William H. Bossert, master of Lowell House, said the police exercised considerable restraint at Lowell House, too, but he added, "We had quite a brawl."

Kenneth R. Andrews, master of Leverett House, disagreed with Epps, saying I.D. rules are difficult to enforce and do not prevent disturbances.

Turning people without I.D. cards away could anger them and lead to disturbances, he said.

Age of Reason

Alberta Arthurs, dean of undergraduate affairs, said the Houses can do nothing to prevent disturbances at dances but use "common sense."

Epps said that disturbances at dances have increased over the past year. Bossert said that such disturbances "have been a problem in the past."