Stickwomen Lose Post-Season Game

Men Beat Champs in First Official Test

By Sarah A. Stahl

The Harvard International Men's Field Hockey, team completed its one-game season yesterday, defeating the Radcliffe varsity team 5-0.

Sporting a goalie who had played field hockey only once before, the men scored a goal in less than a minute, and continued to dominate the first half.

Using long, quick passes, the stickmen kept the ball away from their end of the field and had three more goals against the women during the period.

The women failed to manage a second-half rally as they struggled to prevent a shutout. Although they were unsuccessful, the women did limit their opponents to only one more goal.

Just Let Me Play

The Harvard International Men's team is new to athletics. Felix F. Twaalfhoven '79 said he organized the team because he wanted to play the sport and thought there were others at Harvard who would participate.

Although the team had played together only three times before yesterday, most of its members had played field hockey extensively before coming here. Twaalfhoven said the skills came back to the players quickly even after two or three years' inactivity.

He said he had challenged the Radcliffe team to get the men doing something out on the field.

"For the game, I can just say I'm happy the team kept its positions. We really don't know each other's strengths yet, and we switched players around a lot," Twaalfhoven said.

Fun

Radcliffe Coach Debi Field said she did not schedule this game as serious competition, but as an extra game for the fun of it. Any of her players who could come to the field were invited to take part.

The men had the advantage in stick-work and in the instinct of going to meet the ball, but she said her team thought the game was great experience and held an exciting international flavor.

She said she was especially appreciative of the men's moderating their long passes in sympathy for the type of hockey the women play, which uses shorter passes and more running.

The men's team includes students from Holland, Britain, Canada, India, China and Malaysia, where the sport is very popular. Only two Americans were playing for the International men yesterday.

Of the five goals two were scored by Hong Phua, and Rick Allen, Brooks Newmark, and Chris Poncia contributed one each.