Frosh Basketball Squad Loses, 72-65

Sloppy Third Quarter Proves Deadly

By Daniel Gil>

There were three minutes left on the clock and the Crimson was trailing by eight but closing in rapidly. Ray McGuire stole the ball and drove for an easy layup--but there was a mid-air collision. No foul was called and St. Thomas More scored quickly and led by ten.

That was the last gasp for the Harvard freshman basketball team as they went on to lose last night, 72-65 minus the services of its flu-stricken star, Bob Hooft.

Actually, Harvard had lain its burial plans in the third quarter, when it ran into its usual stretch of sloppy lay. As one player said after the game, "For a while we were playing good halves, now we're playing consistent three-quarters. "It's all a matter of consistency."

Disastrous Third Period>

The game had been tied at halftime, 34-34, after an evenly played first half. But after the disastrous third period, St. Thomas More led, 56-40.

After the tough period, the Crimson seemed to need the abilities of the ill Hooft more desperately than ever. Even without their star, the squad still made a bid for the victory. The collision and turn of events with about three minutes remaining, however, gave St. Thomas More the win.

Alex James led the Crimson effort with a total of 18 points and seven rebounds. James came on strong to score most of his points during the last-quarter rally.

Rick Bengal tallied 16 points for the Harvard frosh, Ray McGuire chipped in 15 points and Andy Buchsbaum pumped in 12.

The squad suffered a similar fortune last Saturday, also, as they succumbed to Yale, 76-63. The game, however, was much closer than the score might indicate.

The game was tight as Harvard played well up to the last five minutes. Then, with Yale still in striking distance, the Crimson fell apart and allowed the Elis to triumph.