Delivery Service Restructures, Plans to Give Reimbursements

By Marc H. Meyer

Student subscribers will begin receiving rebates in mid-April for undelivered newspapers under a reimbursement policy adopted last week by the Harvard Delivery News Service.

A mimeographed letter, sent today to all customers of Harvard Delivery, announced the rebate program designed by Angus Mack Gaither '78, manager of Harvard Delivery, and Archie C. Epps III, dean of students. Organizations changes are also planned.

Epps said yesterday that Gaither will get a new managerial assistant and that an afternoon late-delivery shift, involving a new rotating schedule for the service's workers, is now under consideration.

The letter said reports of failure of delivery and students complaints "will receive a quick response." It made no apologies for past negligence in making reimbursements.

Epps said no University money will be used to finance the reimbursement process. "Funds will have to come from the money the service has already collected," he said.

One Pool

Gaither said that salaries for him and his nine-man staff and money for future development of Harvard Delivery all come from the same pool that Epps cited for providing rebate funds. However, Gaither said, "There is no danger of any rebates not being paid, no danger at all."

"There will be more than sufficient funds, after paying the salaries, to pay the rebates," Gaither said. He added that delivery staff "will get their wages," and the money spent on reimbursements "will just affect the overall net profits" of the agency.

Epps said he hoped "reasonable demands for rebates" and the increased income that should accrue to Harvard Delivery after improving its organization will combine to see the agency clear of bankruptcy.

Gaither said a special committee, "whose purpose is to bring in people experienced in administration," has been formed and met last week on a limited basis to discuss solutions for Harvard Delivery's past problems.

Epps said problems with the present delivery system include no control over who gets papers once dropped in front of hallway doors and The New York Times' failure on four occasions to either deliver their newspapers at Harvard or to get them here on time.

Harvard Delivery has been using a Buildings and Grounds truck rent free, even though B & G has not traditionally lent their equipment to non-departmental agencies for insurance reasons. However, Gaither said Harvard Delivery did agree to pay for any damages to the truck in its daily trip around campus