Trackmen Beat Green; 'Cliffe Falters

First Time Both Sexes Run in Same Meet

By Christopher B. Wright

Varsity track buried Dartmouth yesterday, 100-54, in what had been expected to be a close contest. The win in blustery weather at Harvard Stadium brought the team's record to 4-0.

Tri-captain Sam Butler upset Dartmouth's Kenneth Norman to take the 440 in 49.1 for the biggest win of the meet. Butler came from behind in the last 15 yards to pass Norman, who has the best indoor and outdoor times in New England for the event.

Butler also took the 440 intermediate hurdles to complete a tough double.

The Harvard Stadium record in the javelin fell for the second time in four days when Dartmouth's Skip Cummins chucked his spear 240 feet 8 inches. Freshman Dave Kinney trailed with a toss of 238 feet 4 inches, as the top three finishers all bettered the 233 feel 8 inches mark set on Saturday.

Junior Todd Hooks repeated Saturday's double by winning the 100 and blowing open a close race in the anchor spot of the 440 relay. Sophomore Paul Organ took first in the 120-yard high hurdles with a time of 15.1.

Tri-captain Mel Embree donned his traditional tri-cornered hat, winning the high jump (6 ft. 10 in.), taking second in the long jump (21 ft. 11 3/4 in.) and second in the 120 high hurdles. Coach Bill McCurdy remarked half-seriously that he may have made a mistake in having his star senior concentrate on high jumping instead of hurdling.

"He's disagreed with me on hurdling theory and he's starting to get convincing," the coach joked.

"This meet figured to be real close, but it didn't turn out that way," McCurdy said.

Dartmouth failed to win even their strongest field events, while the Crimson swept the long jump, 120 high hurdles, and the high jump.

The JV team beat their Dartmouth opponents 94-51, and the Radcliffe team fell 64-54. The meet was Harvard's first in which both men and women competed.