Faculty Council Refuses Credit For Orchestra Performance

The Faculty Council yesterday turned down a Music Department request that the department be allowed to offer a course in performance in the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra (HRO) on a credit/non-credit basis.

Irven DeVore, professor of Anthropology and a member of the council, said last night the decision may not represent the council's viewpoint on granting credit for the performing arts.

Instead, he said, the council is waiting for a report from the Council on the Arts, which is currently exploring the issue, before it considers individual cases.

"We preferred to postpone the decision until we can come up with a coherent policy on the whole thing, rather than taking each case one by one," DeVore added.

Eliot Forbes '40, chairman of the Music Department, said yesterday he does not know what action the department will take in regard to offering credit for orchestra performance.

"Special Projects"

James D. Yannatos, senior lecturer in Music and HRO director, said yesterday, however, that he will continue to give Music 91r, "Special Projects in Music," in orchestra performance and analysis. Music 91r is letter-graded and includes a bimonthly seminar.

The department could give credit for HRO performance as a regular course without Faculty Council approval if the course was letter-graded.

Yannatos said the department has not considered offering such a course, but added, "We'll have to see what happens next."