Breadlines Begin at Byerly Hall

JOBS

By Francis J. Connolly

A frisbee sailed slowly over the head of Margaret R. Cowperthwaite '79 and settled down next to the cot where she was sleeping. Across Radcliffe Yard, the shouts from an all-out game of badminton awakened a half-dozen other sleepers. They sat up to watch the sunrise over Byerly Hall and the motley army of jobseekers parked in front of it. It was 5:30 on Tuesday morning, and the crowd knew that Byerly's doors would not open for another three hours.

For the 587 students who showed up Tuesday morning to apply for almost 250 temporary dorm crew jobs, the long wait in the morning cold was a worthwhile proposition. Lured by the prospect of a quick $150 for a week's work following exams, many showed up late Monday night armed with sleeping bags and blankets. By the time the Student Employment Office opened its doors to receive the flood of applicants, Radcliffe Yard looked like a public campground.

Not everyone was happy, though. Tempers flared as late-comers began to cut into the line. Some of those who spent the night grumbled when employment officials distributed the first numbered admission tickets to what the campers thought was the wrong group of people.

By 7:30 a.m., a few sharp entrepeneurs were hawking their low-numbered tickets for as much as $40.

Other students complained that the Employment Office's plan to award the jobs according to a strict ratio--with one-third of the positions going to students who do not receive financial aid--does not conform with its usual policy of giving preference to those who have demonstrated their financial need.

Lucy Carter, staff assistant in the Employment Office, said yesterday that the office, said yesterday that the office does not award these extra jobs solely to those receiving financial aid because it has determined that these students have met their financial needs during the year.

The purpose of the "pre-Commencement clean-up" is to give as many students as possible--including those who may need money but are not on financial aid--a chance "to make a little extra" before the summer, Carter said.

What the students plan to do with that "little extra" is an interesting question. Most of the army outside Byerly consisted of students who were indeed on financial aid, who said they would put the money towards next year's tuition and expenses.

Still, quite a few said they hoped the jobs would help to finance a summer's worth of travelling.

And, of course, some had other plans for the cash. "I guess I'd just buy a ton of dope with it," said one student, as he strolled out of Byerly and headed out for an early morning class.