Frosh Heavies to Travel To Henley Regatta in July

By Richard S. Weisman

The freshman heavyweight crew will join Harvard's varsity boats and the Mather House eight in the annual transoceanic odyssey to the Henley regatta later this month.

This latest Harvard entry in the British aquatic extravaganza was approved yesterday by the Department of Athletics, and, with a financial boost from the Friends of Harvard Rowing, the frosh will be lining up at Henley against what promises to be one of the most formidable fields in the history of the event.

The freshman will leave for Henley on June 18 after a nine-day training sojourn in Squam Lake, New Hampshire, coach Ted Washburn said yesterday.

The last time the freshmen heavies travelled to Henley--back in 1972--they copped top honors, and Washburn is hoping for a repeat performance by this year's crew, which went the regular-season distance with a perfect record in Eastern Regional competition.

"We're ready," Washburn said. "It's going to be a real strong, tough field, but I think we should do O.K."

The strong field Washburn refers to will include the Eastern Regional champion Penn varsity lights, as well as Harvard's own multiple entries.

Henley, a non-invitational, open regatta, is famous for drawing strong boats like flies. In addition to familiar U.S. collegiate competition, the heavies will face several national Olympic boats as well as foreign amateur entries in a field of over 32 crews.

Washburn said it will be a "classic contest" if the Harvard boats face the powerful Penn varsity lights in one of the Henley rounds.

"We know about Penn," Washburn said. "But who knows? There may be lots of others even tougher than that."