O'Brien Picked Acting V.P. For Finances

By Judy E. Matloff

Thomas O'Brien, former director of financial systems, has been named acting financial vice president to replace Hale Champion who resigned from that post earlier this month.

Although no search committee has been established yet to fill the position permanently, O'Brien said yesterday that he believes he may be a prime candidate for the job.

Shortly before President Bok departed on his trip to East Asia, he named O'Brien acting vice president if Champion decided to leave Harvard.

The appointment became effective when Champion was named undersecretary of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare.

O'Brien will hold his current position for a maximum of one year, Daniel Cantor, director of personnel administration, said yesterday.

James A. Sharaf '59, associate general counsel, said Bok will announce his plans concerning the formation of a search committee after intersession.

O'Brien has had much experience with Harvard since he came to the University in 1972. Appointed director of financial systems under Champion in August, he formerly served as acting director of the Office of Information Technology, assistant director of Budgets and acting director of personnel.

Before coming to Harvard, O'Brien was the director of research of Boston's Redevelopment Authority, special assistant to George Romney, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development in 1970, and served on the office of state planning and management for Massachusetts.