The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained


Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned


Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands


Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square


107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

J.V. Booters Score Three Second-Half Goals En Route to Rain-Soaked 4-2 Win Over Tufts

By Stephen A. Herzenberg

Half an hour after the scheduled start of yesterday's J.V. Soccer match between Harvard and Tufts, neither referee had arrived. Two hours later, as the game ended with the score 4-2 in favor of Harvard, Tufts wished a referee had never come at all.

The game went on in pathetic conditions and for 40 minutes of the first half the two teams played socreless soccer in the pouring rain; soccer, in fact, which never looked likely to produce a goal.

If there was to be a score in the first half it seemed inevitable that the conditions would get an assist. That they did, with five minutes left, as a slow Tufts shot from the foot of forward Michael Stollar deflected off Crimson fullback John Pelletier and rolled painfully into the right corner of the net as goalie Edwin Wein-furter found it impossible to change directions in the lake on which he stood.

Only two minutes later, Harvard tied the contest with the first precision goal of the game. Jay Silverstein slammed the ball into the net after an Eric Meyers free kick had been headed to his feet by Liam Hurey.

Six shots in the first ten minutes of the rainless second half foreshadowed Harvard's second goal which came with 13 minutes gone in the half. A fine cross from Ron Ost set up the socre which Jim Burns glanced into the corner of the goal with his head.

Harvard continued to dominate and after a Tufts goal off the foot of Rob Swaine, the Crimson went ahead for good with 20 minutes left in the contest. Jay Silverstein netted his second score, beating the Tufts goalie on his short side as he backed up to cover his wide side.

Only moments later Adolpho Perez forged the final 4-2 score with a header angled into the left bottom corner of the net off a cross from Jim Burns.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.