Racquetwomen Nip Bruins, 4-3

Overcoming both a tough Brown team and the hot, poorly-lit Brown courts, the Harvard racquetwomen emerged victorious Saturday, downing the Bruins, 4-3. The win maintained the squash team's perfect 3-0 season's record.

While Harvard's top three players succumbed to a strong threesome from Brown, four clutch performances by Jenny Stone, Becky Tung, Margo McGlade, and Wendy Sonnabend clinched the match for the Crimson.

Relying mainly on her crosscourt shots and consistent play, number-five Tung overwhelmed her opponent, 15-12, 15-12 and 15-10. "It was our first real challenge, Tung said of the Brown match yesterday, adding "and I feel we responded well to it."

Number four-player Stone and number six McGlade also posted 3-0 wins, making the combined game score 27-0 for the four-through-six player block this season.

Sonnabend, playing at the seventh spot, recorded the fourth and deciding point of the team match as she scored a come-from-behind victory, 14-18, 15-8, 15-8 and 15-9. Sarah Mleczko and Cary and Ellie Cunningham fared less well, as they dropped their matches, 0-3, 1-3 and 2-3, respectively.

Mleczko put up a game fight at number one but found herself thrown off her game by tough Bruin Adrienne Murphy.

Rookie coach Paul Moses commented yesterday, "We played very well. Our team was forced to adjust to a deader court, a different ball, and a very fine and well-coached Brown team." Despite Saturday's scare, the prospects for the season are bright. The squad dominated Wellesley and Tufts with two shutout victories in its opening matches.

And to the win streak the anticipated return of captain Julia Moore--who's working on a thesis but keeping her game well-tuned--and the team looks solid, at the very least.