Williams Upsets Racquetwomen, 5-2

Tufts Falls in Nightcap

By Carl A. Esterhay

The Radcliffe squash team split a twinbill at Hemenway Gym yesterday, losing the opener to Williams, 5-2, and rallying in the nightcap to humble Tufts, 6-1.

Williams avenged an earlier setback to the Crimson as they outpointed the raquetwomen in a match laced with furious flailing and hard-nosed dueling for domination of the court.

Captain Julia Moore battled to win the decisive point of the final game in a marathon match with her Williams rival, Jan Garvey. Moore had enabled her opponent to control the tempo of play and deadlock their match at two games apiece. In the fifth game Moore persistently dodged the wide-swinging weapon of the black-eyed Ephwoman and exhaustively hung on to win, 15-14.

The remaining matches resembled the first in ferocity but the Crimson found itself on the losing side of the ledger. The match was nailed shut when seventh-seeded Marina Castaneda of Radcliffe lost, 3-2, to Williams' Barb Ernst.

After leading two games to one, the wearied Castaneda was burdened by her inability to return her opponent's service and her multiple misconnections in many vollies.

Sarah Mleczko's victory over Becky Chase of Williams resembled the Coop during the first week of classes--plenty of hard-charging, unorthodox action and frequent collisions. Mleczko hustled and dove amidst the oft-tossed racquet of Chase to win 10-15, 16-15, 16-15, 15-17, to notch the other Crimson decision.

Mleczko also led the racquetwomen to a one-sided triumph over Tufts blemished only by the defeat of fifth-ranked Becky Miles.

Coach Eric Cutler said, "The girls did not feel they were playing particularly well. We're in a rut. Williams was beaten, 5-2, by Penn so it could be rough for us at Penn this weekend."