Quad Students Move as Freeze Ends

Exodus to River Houses Begins

By Deborah Gelin

About 60 Quad residents, mostly from South House, moved to River Houses in the past week following the end of the one-semester transfer freeze the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) imposed last spring.

Final statistics are not yet available because some students have not yet decided to accept their transfers, Eleanor C. Marshall, assistant to the deans for housing, said yesterday. About 12 students moved from River Houses to the Quad,. Marshall said.

Movin' On

Students cited the Quad's distance from the Yard, the opportunity to live in suites at a River House, and a general difference in atmosphere between Quad and River Houses as their chief reasons for moving.

Barbara G. Rosenkrantz '44, master of Currier House, said yesterday she turned down a request by an undergraduate to move there because Currier has no vacancies.

Students who made the move expressed satisfaction with their new surroundings yesterday.

Jeffrey D. Brown '79, a new resident of Dunster House, said yesterday he transferred to the River area in order to be closer to sports facilities and classes.

"It's easier to get sleep with the suite set-up," Brown added. Brown formerly lived in South House, where the hallway noise outside his small single kept him up late, he said.

Katherine A. Durnell '79 said yesterday that although she was glad to make the move to Winthrop House, she still enjoyed her one-semester stay in North House.

"The psychological difference between the Quad and River Houses is real. I would do it over--it was special," Durnell added.

"I'll be seeing 5000 instead of 1000 people now," Gilad S.Gordon '79 said yesterday. Gordon said he is looking forward to getting away from the atmosphere of the Quad.

Gordon said he found people at the Quad were isolated and showed little concern for other areas of the University.

Quiet and Withdrawn

"I won't be as late to classes," James P. Feeney '78 said yesterday, expressing a general consensus among those that moved that distance is a major factor in their decision.

"The class distribution at the Quad is very uneven. There are very few juniors and seniors and those that are there tend to be quiet and withdrawn," Mike M. Donatelli '78, a South House resident transplanted to Lowell House, said yesterday.

Donatelli added that he is looking forward to his own bathroom, a fireplace and "a bigger selection of bread" in the dining hall.