Hemispheres Gone; Voyagers To Come

The Voyagers, a new restaurant boasting "the best of all the world's gourmet food," will open soon in the Mt. Auburn St. building that once housed Hemispheres, a 'Middle Eastern' culinary establishment.

Hemispheres, which featured organic cooking and a crowded, "culture shlock" atmosphere, as one former patron put it, closed at the end of 1976.

The Voyagers will have a relaxed atmosphere, Dorothy Koval, its manager and chef, said yesterday.

Koval said the restaurant will seat 45 persons--roughly half of what Hemispheres held. She said the menu will change daily and seasonally, according to the kinds of food available.

The management is taking particular care in choosing its wine list, and in seeing that its waiters are equipped to help customers select an appropriate wine for their meal, Koval said.

Koval said she plans to decorate the restaurant with plants, sculpture and art work acquired through the Nesrudin Gallery in Boston, which she also runs.

Classical and baroque harp and harpsichord music will help to create the planned relaxed atmosphere, Paul Lolax, the Voyagers' carpenter and soon-to-be maitre d', said yesterday.

The restaurant will not gear itself to a college clientele exclusively, Koval said.

The people who will run The Voyagers have known each other for several years and have worked together at the Nesrudin Gallery, Koval said.

The Voyagers should open the second week in April, and will operate on a reservations-only basis, Koval said