‘A Huge Disruption’: Students Testing Positive for COVID-19 Report Confusing HUHS Communication

Local Businesses Fight for Revival of Harvard Square, Gear Up for Winter

DSO Staff Reflect on Fall Semester’s Successes, Planned Improvements for Spring

At Least Five GSAS Departments To Admit No Graduate Students Next Year

UC Passes Legislation to Increase Transparency of Community Council, HUPD

Around The Campus

Owl Redux

"The owl of Minerva flies only at dusk," said Josh Korzenik '79, quoting Hegel but describing the Lowell House owl, formerly the Yard owl, Bio Labs owl, and Busch-Resinger owl.

Crows and bluejays have attacked the owl every morning since it arrived on Thursday, much to the dismay of residents in Lowell House J.

Jeff Dunn '77 called the owl "obnoxious", complaining about lack of sleep and calling for its quick removal.

"This happens every few years," said Raymond Pynter, senior lecturer on Biology, adding, "it seems to like the Bio Labs the best."

Jailbird

For the amateur ornithologist, this is the "barred owl (strix varia), because it is barred across the stomach," Richard Webster '77 said yesterday.

This kind of owl is common to the eastern United States in backwoods, swampy areas, but sometimes hangs out in cities and towns during the winter, because of its conspicious bulk against a bare tree.

Slow-moving in relation to other birds, the owl, aided by special features, flies very silently, snatching mice or rats by stealth. Bluejays and crows, members of the same family, attack owls to keep them from their nest, feeling threatened by the owl's presence.

Most owls roost together in groups of ten or fifteen, but this particular owl is apparently a loner