Proposed Limit On Performers Elicits Doubt

By Susan D. Chira and Payne L. Templeton

Leaders of Harvard performing groups yesterday expressed reservations about a proposed rule discouraging non-Harvard performers from participating in Harvard productions.

The Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) voted unanimously Monday to approve the addition to the "Regulations for Organizations" that will require faculty advisers to approve the participation of non-Harvard performers in Harvard productions.

John F.G. Magoun '78, president of the Harvard Gilbert and Sullivan Society, said yesterday he approves of the rule in principle but added that eliminating outside participation would significantly lower the quality of the society's shows. Most of the other students interviewed yesterday expressed similar views.

Some members of music and drama societies expressed fears that the University would pressure faculty advisers to eliminate all non-Harvard performers.

Michael J. Curry '80, a member of the Bach Society Orchestra, said yesterday the orchestra would lose some of its best soloists if the faculty advisers refused to accept outside performers.

John B. Manulis '78, president of the Harvard Dramatic Club, said he was glad the regulation allowed faculty advisers to select non-Harvard performers.

"It's a great experience for student actors and directors to work with professionals," he said.

Toby M. Gass, president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra and a member of 8