Women's Track Team Sweeps Bates

Kathy Rice Cops Three Firsts

The Harvard women's varsity track team ran over their opponents from Bates College yeaterday at Lewiston, Me., posting a decisive 75-25 score.

The Crimson dominated the running events by sweeping the 50-yard hurdles, and the 220-and 440-yard runs. Both the 880 and mile relay teams were also victorious.

Rice Dashes

Kathy Rice starred for the Crimson, recording first place in the 50-yard dash and the long jump. Rice leapt more than 17 feet in the long jump and also ran the first leg of the winning 880 relay team.

Joining Rice on the 880 relay team were Kathy Dorsey, Kim Clermont and Pat Gopaul. Gopaul, Clermont and Dorsey swept the 220--yard run, with Gopaul picking up the blue ribbon.

Mary Howard ran the quarter mile in 64 seconds for first place. Howard then joined Posey Brian, Anne Fine and Ellen Hart in running the mile relay in 4:27.

Crimson Sweeps

Hart and Brian finished one-two in the 880, while in the hurdles, Hart and Fine finished second and third behind winner Susan Harper, for another Crimson sweep. Harper finished second in the long jump behind Karen Rice.

Bates's long distance runner Karen MacColl defeated two Harvard standouts in the one and two mile events. MacColl set track record in the mile run when she defeated Harvard's Anne Sullivan, making the ten-and-a-half trips around the square-banked dirt track in five minutes and 12 seconds. MacColl also defeated Karen Linsley in the two mile run.

Debby Vogel added a first place for the Crimson in the field events by winning the shot put competition.

Coach "Pappy Hunt" was apprehensive before leaving on the trip, and he said last night the runaway victory was a surprise. "We really creamed 'em," he said.

The women are now 2-0 and look forward to their next meet, the greater Boston championships, in early February.