Hoping for a Full House

RUS

By Justina K. Carlson

With its first meeting coming up October 23, Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) is still missing eight freshmen and two upperclass representatives--the result of largely uncontested elections in the Houses.

As a result, RUS president Jennifer R. Levin '79, will propose to the legislature that the vacancies be filled by appointment for the upperclassmen, and special elections for the freshmen.

RUS executives cite lack of awareness about the organization and its purposes among undergraduate women, along with difficulties with the election calendar, as reasons for the low number of candidates. They seem confident, however, that RUS can overcome these problems and attract more candidates next semester.

Levin said there is a "decreased awareness" about RUS this semester, as "not all that much happened" with the group. This fall, RUS will focus on short-term goals that can be accomplished in one semester, thereby creating greater awareness among students, Levin said.

Heather A. Pavlik '80, secretary of RUS, said she believes the transition from a fall to spring election calendar was the main reason for the low turnout of candidates. With no elected legislature to help out, RUS's five-woman executive board had to organize and publicize the entire election.

Pavlik said she thinks RUS has a "competent" group of representatives this fall, and that next semester's elections will attract more candidates because the legislature will help organize them.