John Travolta Too Busy For Lampoon Party

John Travolta yesterday declined an invitation from the Harvard Lampoon to attend a reception nominating "Grease" as the Lampoon choice for worst movie of the year, Michelle Cohan, production secretary for John Travolta Productions, said yesterday. The first line of her response to the Lampoon stated, "Unfortunately, due to his heavy schedule, John Travolta will not be able to accept your invitation."

The Lampoon has not yet received Cohan's letter. "We're working on it," a Lampoon member, who wished to remain anonymous, said last night in reference to the invitation.

Cohan said Travolta was busy with post-production and pre-production of movies, "and he's trying to do 'Welcome Back, Kotter' in between. It's really crazy around here," she added.

"I'm sure he'd love to do it, but he's booked solid for two years," Cohan said.

Cohan said the Lampoon's letter to Travolta stated: "Harvard University has a tragic situation on its hands. Harvard students know their way around Spencer's theories, but they don't know their way around a dance floor."

Cohan added that the Lampoon had sent its cover photograph of Travolta from its 1978 summer issue, titled "Journal of the Mind," along with its invitation to the star of "Saturday Night Fever."