Black Study Groups

The Educational Affairs Division of the Harvard-Radcliffe Black Students Association (HRBSA) will hold a ten-week "Political Education Study Group" with 20 local high school students that is designed to provide insight into the political, economic and cultural experiences of black Americans.

David A. Harris '80, a member of the HRBSA steering committee, said yesterday six undergraduates will meet throughout the spring with 20 high school students from Cambridge and Roxbury. The group is applying for additional funds from various Harvard-affiliated organizations to fund the program.

Participants will view several films and discuss works by authors including Maya Angelou, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., and W.E.B. DuBois. The group will also attend speaches and symposiums in the Boston area.

The Educational Affairs Division's goal is "to devise original educational methods to liberate Black people from the educational distortions manifested in traditional learning environments," a statement released yesterday by Harris said. The Division's working theme is, "what you don't know, learn; and what you learn: teach."